Harrington School House Renovation Project Updates
Crews removed the asbestos cement siding and tar paper to expose the full termite, weather, and age damage on the historic schoolhouse The historic preservation contractor Tidewater Preservation assessed the extent of the damage and with Hanse Architects began work on the final restoration plan. The exposed building was wrapped to protect it until work begins again. An electrical pole was installed for site security and use during programs.
Why Start at the Top?
we can begin work on the rest of the schoolhouse:
- [ ] - Shoring up the foundation and brick piers
- [ ] - Repairing termite damaged walls
- [ ] - Replacing historic windows and “breeze windows”
- [ ] - Repairing doors
- [ ] - Returning chairs, desks, blackboards, pot bellied stove, and vintage piano
- [ ] - Recalling the stories, songs, and lessons taught in this one room schoolhouse
We can proceed only with your help.
OUR MISSION is to open the school in September 2013 as a museum and historic site about our island’s Gullah Geechee heritage and a community center and focal point for the 13-acre Harrington Community Park.
We can succeed thanks to your support. OUR GOAL: $ 325,000
For more information on how you can help, go to www.ssiheritagecoalition.org, or call us at 912-634-0330.
The Friends of Harrington School, Inc, is 501-c-3 nonprofit organization and your donations are tax-deductible.